In 2010, guns took the lives of 31,076 Americans in homicides, suicides and unintentional shootings. This is the equivalent of more than 85 deaths each day and more than three deaths each hour.
Today’s headline: Fearful of ban, buyers swarm gun stores
Scared? Maybe you should be because these are your neighbors, co-workers, parents at your kid’s school. Normal people, with normal problems. Statistically, despite the best of background checks, a percentage of those normal people: suffer from depression, will develop a life threatening illness, be laid off from their job, be involved in a neighborhood dispute or domestic argument, will experience a marriage breakdown, a drinking problem or an addiction to prescription drugs. Normal people, with normal problems that can make normal people angry with the world around them. Does that sound like a “well-regulated militia” to you?
- A new prescription to treat prescription drug abuse (smartplanet.com)
- Chicago reaches 500 homicides with fatal shooting (news.yahoo.com)
- Our American disease (2) (blogs.redding.com)
- NEJM weighs in on the Cult of AR-15 (dickdestiny.com)
- Harrison boy, 2, latest shooting fatality (timesfreepress.com)